Menu +

Relocating a Business

Relocating a business isa complex event. Learn what you need to know about relocating a business to Las Vegas.

Growth in population and growth in tourism fuel the success of entrepreneurs and corporations alike. If you are in business or thinking about starting a business in Las Vegas, the Las Vegas Metro Chamber of Commerce, the ultimate business resource, is uniquely positioned to be your hub for business information. 

Important Labor Laws in Las Vegas:

Immigration Requirements

All employers must verify the employment eligibility of every new employee, including U.S. citizens and lawful permanent residents, by completing and maintaining on file a copy of the Form I-9. Under the Immigration and Nationality Act, employers may hire only persons who may legally work in the United States (i.e., citizens and nationals of the U.S.) and aliens authorized to work in the U.S. Employers must keep each I-9 on file for at least three years, or one year after employment ends, whichever is longer.

For more information, click here.

Wage Laws

 The Wage and Hour division of the U.S. Department of Labor administers laws pertaining to minimum wage, child labor and payday law provisions. For more information, visit or call 1.866.487.9243.

Requirements of these laws include:

  • Private employers must pay their nonexempt employees at least semi-monthly and exempt employees at least monthly. If an employee quits, all wages must be paid on the next scheduled payday.
  • Current wages for personal service cannot be subject to garnishment.
  • An employer cannot make a wage deduction without written authorization from the employee or a court order.
  • Minimum wage in Nevada is $7.25 per hour with insurance and $8.25 per hour without insurance.


Equal Employment

The U.S. Equal Employment Opportunity Commission (EEOC) enforces laws that prohibit discrimination in employment on the basis of race, color, sex, religion, national origin, age, disability or in retaliation for opposing job discrimination, filing a charge or participating in proceedings under the law. Equal employment opportunity laws generally extend to applicants and employees of most public and private employers with 15 or more employees.

The EEOC offers a voluntary mediation program as an alternative to the traditional investigative or litigation process. Mediators are bound by confidentiality provisions and may not provide information about the mediation to the EEOC investigative stag if the matter is referred for investigation. Visit for more information.

Worker's Compensation

Unless excluded by statute, it is mandatory for an employer who has one or more employees to provide workers' compensation insurance coverage. Some employees are excluded by NRS 616A.110 due to unique criteria.

The Division of Industrial Relations, Workers' Compensation Section (WCS) is responsible for ensuring all employers are in compliance with the law. Employers who do not provide workers' compensation will be charged with an administrative fine up to $15,000; appropriate premium penalties; may be ordered to close business until insurance has been obtained; and will be held financially responsible for all costs arising from a work related injury. In addition, the uninsured employer may be subject to a criminal penalty for claims resulting in substantial bodily harm or death.

The following is a compliance checklist supplied by the State of Nevada Department of Business and Industry Division of Industrial Relations for employers*:

  • Provide requisite workers' compensation insurance coverage and furnish a place of employment free from recognized hazards that may cause death or serious physical harm to employees.
  • Prominently display in your place of business the required workers' compensation information: (1) Informational poster to be displayed by employers. (NAC 616A.460, Form D-1); (2) Poster to be displayed by employers with employees who receive tips. (NAC 616A.470, Form D-22)
  • Have available at all times and at all locations for inspection by agent of the Division of Industrial Relations or Attorney General the policy including the declaration page issued by private carrier; or Certificate issued by the Commissioner if self-insured; or Certificate issued by the Commissioner and a certificate or letter issued by an association of self-insured public or private employers.

*Note: Temporary worksites (less than 1 year) must produce the above information within  24 hours. (NRS616A.495) 

  • Provide forms for employee use and complete injury or occupational disease reporting requirements and forward the required documents in the allowable timeframe: (1) C-1, Notice of Injury or Occupational Disease (Incident Report) and (2) C-3, Employers Report of Industrial Injury or Occupational Disease (NRS 616C.015 & 616C.045)
  • Provide immediate first aid to an injured employee (NRS 616C.085)
  • Complete the workers' compensation claim form (C-3) within 6 working days of receipt of the C-4 form from the medical provider and file it with insurer. (NRS 616C.045)

Commercial Utility Providers

Las Vegas has several commercial utility providers that offer services to businesses of all sizes. Setting up internet, telephone and other technology is now an easy process, as many services can be "bundled" and combined for extra cost savings.

Electricity and Gas

NV Energy

Southwest Gas Company

Telecommunications and Internet Phone Service

Cox Business




Southern Nevada Water Authority 

Water in Las VegasSouthern Nevada is one of the fastest-growing metropolitan areas in the nation. But because it is located in the Mojave Desert, the community strives to maintain a sustainable supply of water through a series of aggressive conservation programs and restrictions on water use. In support of the Southern Nevada Water Authority's (SNWA) Drought Plan, local city and county governments have adopted various restrictions to help curb water use during drought conditions. These include limits on the amount of grass allowed in new residential front- and backyards, golf course water budgets and limits on the use of fountains and water features. Additionally, the SNWA offers numerous resources, services, programs and information to help you save money and live "water smart." Among these are cash rebates that encourage residents to remove thirsty grass and replace it with desert-friendly plants, trees and shrubs. The SNWA also offers rebate coupons for discounts on car washes that recycle water, and pool covers that reduce evaporation. More information on these and other water conservation programs and policies is available at, or by calling the SNWA's Conservation Helpline at 702.258.SAVE.